Want to learn how to start a WordPress blog in less than 8.3 minutes?
It actually takes around 5 minutes, but I know some wouldn’t believe that, so I went with 8.3, because I like doing things differently.
It’s very simple, and I am here to help you. If you have any issues, you can leave a comment below, and I will be happy to help you out.
Not a fan of written tutorials?
Not to worry…I have a video at the bottom where I set up a WordPress blog in 2 minutes and 18 seconds!
Now, there are some places online where you can start a free blog, but you get what you pay for.
If you ever plan on making any money from your blog (you are, right?), you’re going to want to invest the $3.95/month. It’s one less snack stop at the gas station each month. It ends up costing $0.13 per day.
You could probably find that in the couch cushions 😀
Why You Want to Use Site Ground for Hosting Your WordPress Blog
- Site Ground offers insanely fast customer support — 24/7 phone support, 24/7 live chat & 24/7 support tickets
- Nearly 100% Customer Satisfaction Rates
- Bullet-Proof Security
- FREE WordPress with their One Click Installer
- FREE domain (when you sign up for a year)
- FREE Email Accounts
- FREE Daily Backup
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- Unlimited Traffic
You need to head over to Site Ground (click here) and follow the shockingly simple steps (with pictures) where I show you how to start WordPress blog.
Again, I am here to help. Leave a comment below, if you have any issues.
Choosing a Domain Name
The first thing you need to do is choose a domain name. A lot of people overthink this (me included, at times), but with Site Ground, you can add an unlimited amount of domains to your account. So you really don’t have much to worry about.
I have registered close to 100 names over the years, and I try and get .COM, if available. If it is not available, I try to add hyphens (see this domain).
I then go to .CO, .NET or .ORG, in that order. Having a hyphen makes it hard when telling people, as they do not remember. Then again, I very rarely tell my site to someone in person. I have maybe done it 5 times in the last 6 years, so not a deal breaker. Most times you’re going to be telling someone about your site via email or social media, so you’re sending them a direct link.
Select a Hosting Service
- Select Get a new hosting account
- Register a New Domain
- Enter in your domain name and select your extension (.COM, .NET, .CO, etc.)
- Select your service, I recommend the StartUp when getting started. You can always upgrade later on.
- Select plan (I recommend StartUp when getting started)
- Location: I recommend choosing the one closet to you. I use Chicago, as that is the one in the United States
- Period: If you select the yearly option, you will get a FREE domain. You can go month to month as well, but will have to pay for the domain ($14.95) upfront.
- Extra Services: You can de-select Domain Privacy and HackAlert Monitoring as these are not necessary.
- Enter in your credit card information and click Pay now and you’re done! (with this part).
OK, now the fun begins!
Not to worry…Site Ground makes this unbelievably simple and you can install WordPress in less than 30 seconds.
After you signup for the WordPress hosting package you will receive all the necessary information you need to login in your email inbox.
Once you login to your Customer Area for the first time, you will see a popup asking you if you want to have WordPress pre-installed on your account. Select that option and click on the Proceed button.
The next page consists of two parts. In the first one, enter the login information for your new WordPress application.
Next, pick one of the free WordPress themes available in the Wizard and click on the Submit button once again.
Finally, you will see a quick summary of your WordPress installation, including from where to access your admin area, your username and your password.
You just set up your first WordPress website!
You can now go your site and login with the above username/password;
Keep your username and password somewhere safe & secure. I am old school and use an Excel spreadsheet.
Why Start a WordPress Blog?
Here are few of the MANY reasons you might want to start a blog today…
- Get a better job
- Start anew business
- Get more clients from your existing business
- Become a better writer
- Become a published author
- Gain influence
- Establish yourself as an expert in your industry/niche
- Express yourself
- It is a TON of fun!
I recorded an over the shoulder video on how to set up a WordPress website is 2 minutes and 18 seconds, and you can watch it below;
Questions on Starting a WordPress Blog?
Sound off in the comments below and I’ll do my best to help you out.
Disclaimer: This might come as a shock to you, but I do make money from this website. If you do purchase something I recommend, I do earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Be assured that I do not suggest products that I do not believe would be helpful to those reading this site.